When was Plympton Castle built by Henry

Reading time: 3 min

One of the largest castles in the country, strategically located on the narrowest point of the English Channel, Dover Castle has always played an important role in history since its inception. People settled here as early as the Iron Age, and a lighthouse from Roman times and an Anglo-Saxon church can be admired on the site. Dover Castle fortifications continued to develop into the 20th century.

William the Conqueror fortified the existing Anglo-Saxon fort in 1066, both Henry II and Henry VIII expanded the complex, and Vice Admiral Ramsay supervised the evacuation at Dunkirk from the tunnels in the cliffs below the castle complex.

The Norman castle was built by Henry II from 1180. He built a double ring of concentric, tower-reinforced walls around the core of his fortified keep. The Avranches Tower was custom built to control the eastern defenses. You can take a guided tour every first Friday of the month.

The siege of


Continue reading

1216-17, when Dover Castle was held for King John against the rebellious barons with their French allied Prince Louis, is shown in a multimedia exhibition.

In May 1216, Prince Louis landed with his French army in Thanet to support the barons. In the autumn of that year, only the castles of Windsor and Dover were in royal hands in the south. The siege camp was set up north of the castle. The complex was bombarded with stones while the miners drove tunnels under the fortifications. When the walls collapsed, the French penetrated the castle, but could be driven back. A truce was declared.

In October, King John died and his son Henry III was proclaimed King. In May 1217, Prince Louis broke the armistice and again besieged Dover Castle. 3 days later, the French were defeated at the Battle of Lincoln, ending the war

After the siege had shown the vulnerability of the northern defenses, Henry III had the walls heavily reinforced.

Henry VIII visited Dover Castle after feeling threatened by the continental empires following the annulment of his marriage to Catherine of Aragon, his excommunication by the Pope, and the treaty between France and Spain in 1538.

Henry VIII was politically isolated in Europe and a Catholic invasion seemed likely. He commissioned a number of castles on the coast and inspected Dover in 1539. The castle has an exhibit recreating his accommodations.

During the civil war in 1642, the castle was held by the royalists, the city held by the parliamentarians. In August, a group of townspeople were able to take the castle with almost no shot.

In 1745 new army quarters were built in the castle. The defenses were adapted to the requirements of weapon development.

After the Napoleonic Wars, the troop strength at Dover Castle was reduced.

The castle played an important role in both world wars. It was equipped with anti-aircraft guns and, during World War II, with radar systems.

In May 1940, the evacuation of 338,000 Allied soldiers from the battlefields near Dunkirk was directed from here. The underground barracks were expanded, new tunnels were built, as was a hospital.

After the war, the army stayed at Dover Castle until 1958. Today the facility is under the management of English Heritage.

Tip from the editors: If you want to visit several castles in Great Britain, it is worth purchasing an Overseas Visitor Pass.


Shut down