What does CDD mean for Slang Dictionary
adjective, comparativemad · der [mad-er], / ˈmæd ər /, superlativemad · dest [mad-ist]. / ˈMæd ɪst /.
- abnormally furious; ferocious: a mad bull.
- affected with rabies; rabid: a mad dog.
verb (used with object), mad ded, mad ding.
verb (used without object), mad ded, mad ding.
SYNONYMS FOR mad
WATCH NOW: How Does The Word "Mad" Have So Many Meanings?
The word "mad" really drives me mad. I mean, just think about it. I'm so mad at you, I could say. But what if I said I'm so mad about you. Those are like two opposite things, infuriation and infatuation. How can this one word, "mad," be both?
QUIZ YOURSELF ON "WHAT" VS. "WERE"!
Idioms for mad
Origin of mad
synonym study for mad
usage note for mad
historical usage of mad
The Old English forms are from the Germanic adjective gamaidaz "changed for the worse, abnormal." The element maid- in gamaidaz is from Proto-Indo-European moi-, a variant of the root mei-, moi- “to change, exchange, go, move,” extended with a dental suffix (-d in Germanic, -t elsewhere). The same suffixed variant moit- appears in Latin mūtāre "to change, exchange, give and receive in exchange." Sicilian Greek (therefore likely to be influenced by Latin) has the noun moîtos “thanks, favor, reward,” which is possibly a borrowing from Old Latin moitus.
The progression of senses of mad starts with its original sense in Old English, "troubled in mind, demented." The senses “rabid (dog),” “foolish or unwise,” and “overcome by desire or eagerness” are all recorded from around 1300. Mad in the sense “enraged, angry” arose after about 1400. This sense of mad is the Usual colloquial term in the United States (the British are more likely to use angry) and has been condemned by the arbiters of usage since the late 18th century. The sense “wildly lively, merry” is an Americanism, associated with jazz and African Americans, and dates to the early 1940s.
like mad (initially, for mad) is quite old, from the 14th century. We take it today to mean "with great haste or energy," but the original meaning was more literal: "in the manner of one who is mad."
OTHER WORDS FROM mad
Words nearby mad
Definition for mad (2 of 3)
Definition for mad (3 of 3)
Words related to mad
Example sentences from the Web for mad
When he has called the police in the past, they have not responded, or responded "mad late."
From righteous fury to faux indignation, everything we got mad about in 2014 — and how outrage has taken over our lives.
The house decays around Amelia and Samuel, their world narrows and becomes mad, undealable with.
We fight over their ownership and control, as if reality were a resource as scarce as the water and oil in Mad Max.
British Dictionary definitions for mad (1 of 2)
- unusually ferociousa mad buffalo
- afflicted with rabies
Derived forms of madmaddish, adjective
Word Origin for mad
British Dictionary definitions for mad (2 of 2)
n acronym forUS
Medical definitions for mad
Idioms and Phrases with mad
In addition to the idioms beginning with mad
- mad about
- mad as a hatter
- mad as a hornet
- made for each other
- made of money
- made to measure
- made to order
- mad rush
- crazy (mad) about
- drive someone crazy (mad)
- hopping mad
- like crazy (mad)
- heavily raving mad
- Be happy no matter what the situation
- What is horizontal hostility
- Kalachowki Cha Maha Ganpati Logo
- How to use universal electricity api
- Who plays Lincoln Sibeko artist
- Vishwakarma caste actors who have died
- How quickly does ibuprofen work for toothache
- How To Make Saree Kuchu Designs
- Where to get horn mu online webzen broken
- Cinema 4d R12 portable Descargar WhatsApp
- Howard Willett Coos Bay Oregon
- How To Fool Google Reverse Image Search
- Who the player answers, estimates level 84
- What does it mean to expand my knowledge
- Hoyts Cologne how to do
- What is the longest word
- Toburan Holistic Health Initiative 2020
- What is my IPv4 endpoint titration
- Oasis whatever note n
- How to move multiple check boxes in Excel
- What does sniffing mean in medical terms
- How to turn off the conference call mute
- Dharmic status for WhatsApp in Urdu
- How to set up ddns iview ddns