How to grow sapphire crystals at home
How to grow crystals from sugar at home
Content of the article
Chemistry - one of schoolchildren's worst nightmares. Suffice it to mention the periodic table or the valence, so that in young hearts the desire to pretend to be asleep awakens until the document is received. Newly graduates like to pass chemistry textbooks to the library and forget about complex formulas and calculations forever. But in vain, because thanks to this science you can conduct fascinating experiments and create interesting things. For example, crystals made from sugar.
Candy growing equipment
It is not difficult to turn an ordinary kitchen into a modern laboratory for the manufacture of sweets. A few simple elements are required:
- large pan, preferably with a thick bottom and non-stick coating;
- 500 ml of water;
- 700-800 grams of sugar;
- thick paper or cardboard;
- Glasses, cups or small cans;
Jars or jars should be transparent, with no stickers, so you can watch the crystal growth. The alternative to the skewer are wooden ears. One side, on which the wadding is lined up, must be cut off, and the other side must lie. To grow a large crystal, it is recommended to buy sushi sticks, but then you should also choose a glass with a volume of 2-3 liters.
Important: Cookware for the preparation of syrup and rock sugar should be absolutely clean. No dust or detergent residue that could ruin the entire experiment.
Step 1: prepare the skewers
The crystal consists of only one component: sugar, dissolved in water. Solids attract smaller particles that stick together and freeze. Sugar floating in water needs a base - a skewer. Or rather solid sweetener crystals that should stick to the stick.
In the first stage, you do not need to cook too thick syrup. Mix 50 ml of water with two spoons of sugar in a small saucepan. Warm the mixture, preferably using minimal heat, so the liquid doesn't turn an ugly shade of brown, stirring constantly until the sweetener is completely dissolved. Bring to a boil, keep on the stove for 5 - 10 minutes. Let the saucepan cool down a bit and pour the syrup into a saucer.
Put a sheet of paper next to the plate and pour a thin layer of sugar on it. Prepare a tray or saucer for skewers, which should be covered with foil, parchment paper, or cling film.
About half of the chopsticks are immersed in the syrup, wait for the fresh water to flow, and then pour the wooden base in sugar. Make sure a layer of the same thickness is obtained. The more evenly the sugar adheres, the more beautiful the crystals will be.
Put the skewers on a plate. They must not come into contact with neighboring sticks. Move the bar closer to the battery or other heat source to allow the sugar to freeze faster. It takes at least 12 hours for the skewers to dry completely and for the sweetener crystals to adhere firmly to the wooden base.
Sugar residues can be used in the second stage. Syrup needs to cook a new one and add or pour out the old tea.
Step 2: the base for the crystal
You have to try the skewers with your finger: if they seem wet, wait a little longer; wooden sticks and sugar will dry out? It's time to cook syrup for homemade sweets.
- Put a large saucepan on the stove and turn on the minimum heat.
- Pour 2 cups of water into the container and wait for it to heat up.
- When the liquid gets hot, add a glass of sugar. Stir until the sweetener is completely dissolved.
- Pour another 1.5 cups of sugar. Stir until a foam forms on the surface of the syrup, which must be carefully removed with a spoon.
- Immediately reassemble the pan on a stand or submerge it in a container of cold water.
The syrup remains liquid at this stage and easily crystallizes. If you cook it a little longer, you will get a sticky mass that is more suitable for making jam than for growing candy.
Wait for the syrup to warm up. Pour the workpiece into glasses or jars. Fill the containers 3/4 or half full. 500 ml of water is sufficient for approx. 7–8 glasses.
Tip: The saucepan for boiling syrup should be high because when heated, the mass rises and can "run away", staining the oven and the outside of the bowl.
Step 3: fragile construction
Cut out of thick sheets of paper or cardboard. They should be slightly larger than the neck of a jar or jar. It is not necessary to make them perfectly round, ovals or even squares will do. The main thing is that they completely cover the container with the syrup, protect it from dust and be sufficiently rigid.
Poke a hole through the center of the circle where the skewer will be inserted. It is necessary that the rod not fail and not move. You can attach a tip or cap to the tip on the surface of the glass, which will prevent the skewer from falling under the weight of a growing crystal. A long clothes peg, which should be carefully placed on the paper circle, will help hold the stick in place.
Step 4: observation
Dip the skewers in syrup glasses so they don't touch the walls or the floor. The cold slows down and stops the crystallization process, so sweet water shouldn't cool down. Place jars with syrup next to the battery or another warm place, preferably away from the sun.
Containers with crystals cannot be moved, lifted or twisted about an axis. It is forbidden to remove the skewers until the candy is the desired size; one can only observe how small particles adhere to a hardened base.
How Much Lollipop Will Grow? Depending on the consistency and temperature of the syrup and the ratio of sugar and liquid. Some crystals grow in just a week, while others take 10-12 days.
Quick cooking option
If there is an urgent need for sweets, it is recommended to use another cooking technology:
- Pour the water into the pan, do not add anything.
- Bring the liquid to a boil, pour 2-3 sugar shacks.
- Add the sweet ingredient in small portions. Stop when the sugar no longer dissolves in the liquid.
- Don't forget to stir the syrup so that it doesn't stick to the bottom of the pan and burn.
- Set the saucepan with the sweet solution aside. It is recommended to make two servings of syrup, as a small serving can sometimes fail.
- Sprinkle dry sugar with water and roll up a small ball. Wait for it to set and wrap the ingot with thread. Some recommend using a hair, but it is very thin and can tear at any time.
- Attach the second end of the string to a branch or pin so that the crystal is exactly in the center of the pan; like a skewer, the sugar block should not be against the walls or bottom of the container.
- Syrup needs warmth. If the sweet solution cools too quickly, the crystal will be irregularly shaped.
- You should regularly monitor the amount of syrup in the pan, and if it falls, add a new batch.
Sweets prepared in this way can be removed for 2-3 days.
Important: you can not add ordinary sugar to the syrup, which will not dissolve, but will simply sink to the bottom. Just warm, sweet, heat-treated solution.
Lollipops, for the cultivation of which sugar and water were used, turn out to be white or slightly yellowish. If you want to create a light shade, add a synthetic or natural dye to the sweet solution.
Red or pink pastilles are due to beet, cherry or raspberry juice. Blueberries make them blue and saffron or carrot make them orange. A few drops of spinach juice - and green crystals grow in the glass.
The yellow candies are due to lemon peel, the cranberries or currants make them scarlet, and the blackberries or red cabbage make them purple.
Natural colorings can be added to the syrup during cooking, and synthetic foods are already included in the jars. The sweet solution is mixed with flavorings to enhance the taste of the crystals. It is forbidden to put dried fruits, chocolate chips and other solid ingredients in jars, otherwise the experiment will fail.
Homemade sugar candies decorate cakes and serve desserts on sticks for tea. Unusual crystals can congratulate a friend on a vacation, or even start a business selling creative sweets.
Video: how to make crystals from sugar
- What is Harley Davidson GP racing bikes
- Ao haru riding cap 19 if isee
- Iiko dashboard everywhere Chrysler
- Constance Ellison Howard University
- What I do after bca
- Do what you have to do four tops
- How to lengthen the spine while sleeping
- How to put cushions under ceramic tiles
- Gwsh katowice kursy fizjoterapia oddechowa
- Subcontractor laws in Massachusetts which group
- The bimaxilla protrusion occurs at noon
- How do I make a Cipw norm calculation program
- How to rebuild a Maxwell 1500 windlass
- How tall is Ben Stiller actor
- Styrene printing material what is c2s
- Beisser shirts are eaten wholesale
- 1 mug of beer how many liters
- What does Double Pipe do in SQL
- 254 kbps is how fast
- What does a white ladybug mean
- Kaila from the intervention, where is she now
- What does obligatory scene mean
- Lipode recordings where to buy